THE DREAM (drama)



Cast of Characters

FARHAN ICHSAN – lost person with only an address and no memory of anything else

GEMA AKBAR – a person to be feared who is the only one who can guide FARHAN

FEBBRY ANDIKA – a friendly and concerned person who befriends FARHAN

ELLANIA R. – an angry individual who is annoyed easily

FERDI ENDINANDA – quick to get into other people’s business

FADHILA DEWI – complains about everything and everyone

DINDA RISZA – an overly friendly person who is upset by harsh words

INSANI RAMADHAN – willing to cast a dark shadow on any situation



Scene 1

(Farhan is suddenly awake, he’s afraid, he run to knock Gemma’s bed, he’s lost. He don’t know any way to home)

GEMA:Who's that? What's with knocking my bed?

ELLA:Quiet!

GEMA:You quiet yourself.

FARHAN:I'm sorry. Please go back to sleep.

GEMA:Don't you start telling me what to do. You done plenty already.

FARHAN: It was an accident.

ELLA:Will you shut up?!

FERDI: Who's yelling?

FADHILA: Hey, man. Go to sleep. There's other people around here you know.

GEMA:Yeah, I know. So shut your trap.

FARHAN: Please, all of you, go back to sleep.

FEBBRY: Who's the fancy talker? I bet he wears a tie?

GEMA: I don't see none on him. He lucky. I would a used it to strangle him.

FARHAN: I'm sorry. I just need a place to sleep.

GEMA: There ain't none here.

FEBBRY: You got two blankets. Why don't you give him one?

GEMA: What with you? You take a liking to him?

FEBBRY: Well, he ain't got no tie.

GEMA: And I ain't got no blanket. So go somewhere else.

FARHAN: I'll go. It's okay.

DINDA: You can always sleep in this blanket, I got two blankets anyway.

INSANI: What're you talking about? You always feel cold. You're the one who needs two blankets.

DINDA: Careful what you say, I might cry.

FADHILA: Oh, man. Last time she cry, she wouldn't shut up all night.

FARHAN: Everyone, please. I didn't mean to cause so much trouble.

GEMA: You too late. You already did. Now, you have to pay.

DINDA: (Almost a whisper) Be gentle with him.

GEMA: Shut up, woman!

ELLA: Why don't you?! I'm tryin' to sleep here.
(Silence. GEMA crosses to ELLA's ad he point at him) What do you want?!

GEMA: No one mouths off at me.

ELLA: Too late, I already did. (In a quick motion, GEMA tips the blanket, kicks ELLA, and pins him to the floor with his foot. FARHAN tries to escape during this but is caught by FERDI and FADHILA. FERDI and FADHILA push FARHAN roughly into a sitting position on a blanket. Once again everything is still again)
GEMA: What you say to me, girl?

ELLA: Nothing, nothing at all.

GEMA: And what you say to me later?

ELLA: Nothing.

FERDI: (Holding FARHAN) We got this one.

FADHILA: What you gonna do with him?

GEMA: (Crosses to FARHAN, grabs his face roughly and makes FARHAN look up at him) Does I scare you?

FARHAN: (Softly) Yes.

GEMA: (Smiles, still holding him, looking into his eyes) It's that look I love. I loves it more than women. And you's got it. (He roughly releases FARHAN. Others leave him alone and go to the corners to converse. GEMA sits on his blanket. FEBBRY goes to FARHAN)

FEBBRY: Hi, there.

FARHAN: Hi.

FEBBRY: My name's Febbry. (Holds out hand. They shake)

FARHAN: Farhan.

FEBBRY: I think Gema is very nice person.

FARHAN: I think you're wrong.

FEBBRY: He's not as bad as he looks. He's really a pussy cat deep down.

FARHAN: Yeah, with long claws, long teeth, and rabies.

FEBBRY: Oh, you’re funny. We can be friends.

FARHAN: Where am I?

INSANI(Joins them): You're down, man. You're at the end of existence.

FEBBRY: He exaggerates.

INSANI: You eg-za-der-dates if you's saying otherwise.

FARHAN: I was told to come here. At least, I think so. (Takes out paper) Here's the address. (FEBBRY is silent when he sees paper)

INSANI: That's bad man. Real bad.

FARHAN: What?

INSANI: That place.

FARHAN: Then this isn't it?

INSANI: This place is far from it, man. This is Disneyland to that.

FARHAN: Maybe I shouldn't go.

FEBBRY: You have to.

FARHAN: Who will take me there, then?

FEBBRY: Gema can take you.

FARHAN: Gema? Why him?

INSANI: That's a bad place. Only Gema goes there. (To FEBBRY) They say he's from that neighborhood.

FEBBRY: If that's possible.

FARHAN: Can it be that bad?

INSANI: Where you comin' from, man? Don't you know nothin' about this neighborhood?

FARHAN: This is all new to me.

INSANI: It better be unnew and fast or you's gonna lose yourself here.

FEBBRY: That place where you're going...

FARHAN: Yeah?

FEBBRY: It's dangerous... cops don't even go there.

INSANI: And when Gema goes, he don't bring no one back.

FEBBRY: You didn't have to tell him that.

INSANI: It's the truth, isn’t it?

FARHAN: I'm free, aren't I? I just won't go. I'll stay here. That's easy enough.

INSAN: You forget. Gema won't let you. You're stuck.

FARHAN: Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

INSANI: Hey, he catches on quick.

FEBBRY: Not quick enough I'm afraid.

FARHAN: Won't Gema help me through?

INSANI: Gema? Help? Those words don't go, man. Gema would sooner see you hurt than helped. That's his way.

FARHAN: I may as well go alone then.

FEBBRY: Gema would go anyway. It’s his job. You may as well go with him.

INSANI: You stick with Gema in that neighborhood, man. You'll be glad you did. With them the way they are there, he'll be your best friend.

FARHAN: I don't understand any of this. What is this stupid address? I don't want to go, but what else can I do? There's nothing behind me. There's nothing here. The only thing I have is this address.

INSANI: Keep what you got. It could be worse… but not much. (Moment of silence. GEMA gets up and puts on a jacket. GEMA crosses over to them. INSANI sees him and crosses away. FARHAN and FEBBRY notice GEMA when INSANI leaves)

GEMA (To FARHAN): You coming?

FEBBRY: You'd better go.

GEMA: Show me your paper.

FARHAN: Paper?

GEMA: (Louder and sharper) The address!

(FARHAN quickly gives it to him)

GEMA: (Laughs darkly) Bad place. What's a fancy talking little wuss like you doing in a neighborhood like this?

FARHAN: Someone gave me the address. I don't remember them saying anything else.

GEMA: Probably better that way.

FARHAN: What is this place anyway?

GEMA: That depends on you.

FARHAN: What is that supposed to mean?

GEMA: (Laughs) You see. What that they say. "Patience is a..." What's that word?

FARHAN: "Virtue."

GEMA: Yeah. You got to get yourself some of that.

FARHAN: I thought I had plenty before this.

GEMA: You find you got a lot less after. It’s time

FEBBRY: (Goes up to FARHAN) Keep safe.

GEMA: I ain't got the time!

FEBBRY: You'd better go.

FARHAN: Good-bye. Perhaps I'll be back this way again. (FEBBRY smiles sadly)

GEMA: You comin'? (FARHAN follows GEMMA,  FEBBRY watches sadly. INSANI glances reluctantly, but turns away. Lights fade to black)

(Finally GEMA leads Farhan to his home and Gema disappear right away. Farhan watches himself sleep on the bed, he stares quizically then sleep upon his body)

FARHAN: (wakes up with sweat and breathes pantingly) Oh! Thank God it was just a dream.

No comments on "THE DREAM (drama)"

Leave a Reply